1. Comment to this entry asking, and I will pick 3 of your icons/userpics.
2. Make an entry in your own journal (or just reply if you prefer) and talk about the icons I picked!
delphi picked the following:

This is a frame from "Tintin in the Congo", the old black/white version from 1931, back when the comic's story lines were wackier, because Hergé simply just drew a page every week for Le Petit Vingtième without a meticulously planned out story.
In his own words: "The Petit Vingtième came out on Wednesday evening, and I often didn't have a clue on Wednesday morning how I was going to get Tintin out of the predicament I had put him in the previous week".
In this part of the story, Tintin's dog Milou (Snowy) has been tied to a pole by the villain and then swallowed by a snake! However, his paws break through the snake's belly, leading the snake to exclaim "How extraordinary!... It's the first time I noticed I have paws!" (Then Tintin shows up, cuts the snake's belly open, frees Milou and then feeds the snake its own tail...)
"Tintin in the Congo" is rather controversial today, to say the least, because of its colonialist depictions of Africans as lazy, childish people who are unable to function without the guidance of the white man, in this case the Belgians. Oh, and big game exist solely to be hunted for sport.
But the snake-episode is just so completely crazy that I can't help but love it, and that's why I use this icon, even if it might be a bit difficult to read what the snake says, and it might not make a lot of sense without the context.

This is also from Tintin, but from the penultimate story "Flight 714 to Sydney" from 1968. The billionaire Laszlo Carreidas has been kidnapped by the recurring villain Rastapopoulos, who want to get the number of Carreidas' Swiss bank account. How? By injecting him with a truth serum, of course!
Except that plan gloriously backfires when Carreidas, instead of just giving the bank account number, begins to confess to every asshole-ish thing he's ever done since childhood, while wallowing in what a terrible person he is. The speech bubble is from when he begins to confess, all while Rastapopoulos is chewing his riding crop into pieces in pure frustration. (Er, well, you could argue parts of the plots became a little wacky in the later Tintin-stories as well, haha.)
It is one of the funniest episodes in Tintin, IMO. Carreidas happily confessing to everything, the scary doctor who becomes more and more insecure as his truth serum just won't work properly, and Rastapopulus who becomes more and more apoplectic in his rage as his grand plan crumbles in front of his eyes.
It's however a little difficult to use this icon without the context, because at first glance it looks like it's meant seriously, while in reality it is anything but serious.

This is old, from 2005, and from one of McTabby's Summary Executions. I love it, because I like the slightly absurd contradiction of saying the story doesn't contain slash, while giving a warning for mpreg.
I also love it, because I can sense where the author went wrong: I strongly suspect that they thought "slash" meant "explicit sex scenes" and not just "a description of a romantic relationship between two male characters".
And that is quite cute, I think, and a reminder of how we've all started somewhere.
**
Speaking of Tintin, the illustration for February in the 2021 Tintin wall-calendar is the last frame on this page. I don't mind, I really don't mind having that on my wall a whole month. Just wanted to say that. ;)
2. Make an entry in your own journal (or just reply if you prefer) and talk about the icons I picked!
This is a frame from "Tintin in the Congo", the old black/white version from 1931, back when the comic's story lines were wackier, because Hergé simply just drew a page every week for Le Petit Vingtième without a meticulously planned out story.
In his own words: "The Petit Vingtième came out on Wednesday evening, and I often didn't have a clue on Wednesday morning how I was going to get Tintin out of the predicament I had put him in the previous week".
In this part of the story, Tintin's dog Milou (Snowy) has been tied to a pole by the villain and then swallowed by a snake! However, his paws break through the snake's belly, leading the snake to exclaim "How extraordinary!... It's the first time I noticed I have paws!" (Then Tintin shows up, cuts the snake's belly open, frees Milou and then feeds the snake its own tail...)
"Tintin in the Congo" is rather controversial today, to say the least, because of its colonialist depictions of Africans as lazy, childish people who are unable to function without the guidance of the white man, in this case the Belgians. Oh, and big game exist solely to be hunted for sport.
But the snake-episode is just so completely crazy that I can't help but love it, and that's why I use this icon, even if it might be a bit difficult to read what the snake says, and it might not make a lot of sense without the context.
This is also from Tintin, but from the penultimate story "Flight 714 to Sydney" from 1968. The billionaire Laszlo Carreidas has been kidnapped by the recurring villain Rastapopoulos, who want to get the number of Carreidas' Swiss bank account. How? By injecting him with a truth serum, of course!
Except that plan gloriously backfires when Carreidas, instead of just giving the bank account number, begins to confess to every asshole-ish thing he's ever done since childhood, while wallowing in what a terrible person he is. The speech bubble is from when he begins to confess, all while Rastapopoulos is chewing his riding crop into pieces in pure frustration. (Er, well, you could argue parts of the plots became a little wacky in the later Tintin-stories as well, haha.)
It is one of the funniest episodes in Tintin, IMO. Carreidas happily confessing to everything, the scary doctor who becomes more and more insecure as his truth serum just won't work properly, and Rastapopulus who becomes more and more apoplectic in his rage as his grand plan crumbles in front of his eyes.
It's however a little difficult to use this icon without the context, because at first glance it looks like it's meant seriously, while in reality it is anything but serious.
This is old, from 2005, and from one of McTabby's Summary Executions. I love it, because I like the slightly absurd contradiction of saying the story doesn't contain slash, while giving a warning for mpreg.
I also love it, because I can sense where the author went wrong: I strongly suspect that they thought "slash" meant "explicit sex scenes" and not just "a description of a romantic relationship between two male characters".
And that is quite cute, I think, and a reminder of how we've all started somewhere.
**
Speaking of Tintin, the illustration for February in the 2021 Tintin wall-calendar is the last frame on this page. I don't mind, I really don't mind having that on my wall a whole month. Just wanted to say that. ;)